This is delicious, I mean, crazy-delicious eggnog. And it makes crazy-delicious french toast. Perhaps it’s not exactly heart-friendly healthy…but delicious, oh yes, it is…so it’s in keeping with many of our favorite breakfast treats! Eggs, bacon, syrup, pancakes, coffee cake — how can you NOT love breakfast! Especially at this time of year when we feel somehow oddly justified in eating unhealthy stuff. OK, back on subject…
Here’s the recipe:
First, the eggnog.
- Six eggs
- 2 cups of chilled heavy (or half and half — just not non-fat) cream
- 2 cups of chilled lite cream
- 1/2 lb. of confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
Note, this is best if you prepare this the night before and let it rest in the refrigerator overnight.
1. Separate the yolks from the whites. Cover the whites and put them in the fridge.
2. Beat the yolks until they are light. Then beat in all the sugar. Now add all the vanilla extract, plus all the cream. Put in fridge.
4. If you left this overnight, now take both bowls out of the fridge. Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites, then beat them for 1 minute.
5. Stir the yolk based mixture lightly and then pour it into a bowl. Then gently pour the egg whites into the yolk-based mixture. Put the nutmeg in a small bowl or cup next to the eggnog so that a pinch of nutmeg may be sprinkled on the french toast.
6. Heat griddle to medium high and use oil or a little butter to grease the griddle.
7. Use thickly sliced hearty white bread. (Not sourdough). Dip each slice into the eggnog mixture — leaving in the mixture long enough for the bread to absorb the mixture but not long enough to make the bread soggy and falling apart. Grill on griddle until golden brown. Serve with nutmeg and cinnamon. Enjoy!!